Skip to main content


How can I find my adviser?

You can find your adviser by going to your DegreeWorks. Your adviser will be listed under your name and identifying information. You can click on your adviser’s name and generate an email to that person automatically.

How do I schedule an appointment with my adviser?

Prior to course registration, you will likely receive an email from your adviser to schedule an appointment. Be sure to check your email. You may also email your adviser directly to schedule an appointment.

What should i do if my program has been recommended for discontinuation?

Know that your 2023 fall semester is not affected by this recommendation.  

Please make an appointment with your academic adviser as soon as possible. They will be able to help you consider other academic options for your degree goals.  

We encourage you to attend the information session for students and families hosted by Student Life and the Mountaineer Parents Club on Thursday, August 17 at 6 p.m. Please check U-News for the zoom webinar information. Members of the Provost’s Office staff will be on hand to answer your questions, as well as discuss the appeal process.  

Will I be able to finish my program if it is ultimately discontinued?

Once decisions are finalized, undergraduate students who have completed more than 60 credit hours towards the discontinued degree program will be taught out in that degree and will be able to complete their current program of study.  

Undergraduate students who have earned less than 60 credits towards the discontinued program will meet with their academic adviser to discuss whether they can complete their original degree. If they cannot do so, the adviser will help them to find an alternative academic path with similar occupational opportunities that makes full use of their currently earned credits. 

How do I change my major?

Start by letting your current adviser know you would like to change majors. Your adviser will be able to initiate an Academic Status Update change for you to reflect your new major. Remember, some majors have additional requirements students must meet before they can join, so be sure to talk about these requirements with your current adviser first.

How can I check that I’m taking the right courses for my major?

Your DegreeWorks page will list your current academic curriculum and the courses that will fulfill all your university, college, major and other requirements. The WVU Catalog is also a great resource.

I took college courses in high school, but I don’t see them on my DegreeWorks. Why aren’t they showing up?

Dual enrollment courses taken at a community college while a student is still in high school do not automatically show up on DegreeWorks. Students must submit an official transcript to Admissions from the community college where the dual enrollment courses were taken before the credits will be posted.

I took Advanced Placement exams in high school, but I don’t see them on my DegreeWorks. What should I do?

Students must designate Advanced Placement exam scores to be sent to WVU in order to have a record of them in DegreeWorks. If you have not already designated WVU to receive your scores, please go to your account at College Board and specify that your scores should be sent to WVU.

Why are my Advanced Placement courses “Not Counted” in my DegreeWorks?

Students must specifically request Advanced Placement classes to be articulated. If you would like to request articulation, please use this form. However, you should check with your current adviser before articulating any Advanced Placement classes. Sometimes this can create an issue with having enough degree-pursuant courses to keep federal financial aid. You can also find more information on the Registrar website at

Am I allowed to take classes at another college or university?

Taking classes at another location while you are a current student at WVU is called taking courses “in transient.” WVU students can take 18 credits total in transient throughout their time at WVU. Remember, only 9 of those credits can be directly applied to the major, so check with your academic adviser before signing up for classes outside of WVU. Students will need to fill out a  transient form, ensure the class is equivalent to one at WVU and get the signature of the adviser to get started. Don’t put this off until the last minute!

When can I add a minor?

Students may add a minor at any time, provided they meet any needed admissions criteria. However, it might be a good idea to get used to your major before you add additional academic plans. Talk with your adviser to see what the best option for your situation may be.

Can I double major?

Students may add a double major at any time, provided they meet any needed admissions criteria. Speak with your adviser to determine what the best option for your situation may be. Often students perform better by waiting until they are secure in their first major before adding a second major. You will also need to talk to your adviser about how adding a second major may impact your scholarships or financial aid.

I’m trying to register for a class, but I keep getting an error.

For all registration errors and what you need to do to avoid them, visit the Registrar’s website:

I have a hold on my account and cannot register. What should I do?

You can check for holds on your DegreeWorks page and STAR account. To figure out how to resolve the hold you may have, check the Registrar’s website here:

The course I want requires me to get on a waitlist. What does that mean?

Some high-demand courses offer a waitlist option when the course is full. If a student currently enrolled in the course decides to drop, the student who is next on the waitlist will be notified and have 24 hours to complete registration in the course. After that time has expired, the next student on the waitlist is notified. It is always better to take an open seat in an available course, rather than hoping to get into a preferred section of a waitlisted course!

Special note: Students often have additional questions about waitlisted courses that require both a lecture and a lab. If there are available seats in lecture and lab sections, it is always in your best interests to register for those right away, instead of taking the waitlist option. However, if you do want to waitlist for a lecture or a lab, remember that you must register for both lecture and lab at the same time. This means your only option is to waitlist for one of the courses (example: the lab) and not register for the other (example: the lecture) until you are notified that your seat has become available. Then you must register for both during your 24-hour window.

You can find instructions on signing up for a waitlisted course here:

More frequently asked questions about waitlisted courses can be found here:

What are course registration holds and errors?

There are many reasons you may encounter an error or while registering for a class or a hold on your account that prevents registration.

For the complete list of registration errors and what you can do to avoid them, please visit the Registrar’s webpage:

To understand the holds on your account, please visit the Registrar’s webpage: